• Our paper titled “An Immersive Design Environment for Performance-based Architectural Design: A BIM-based Approach” (S. Akin, O. Ergun, E. Surer, I. G. Dino) is selected to Poster session of 4th EAI International Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good (GOODTECHS 2018) and will appear within the proceedings as a 2 pages paper. This work is supported by Middle East Technical University GAP-201-2018-2823 Grant and YÖP-704-2018-2827 Grant and we would like to thank also the participants of the workshop conducted at University of Lisbon, Design Computation Group for tool testing, and Jose Nuno Beirao and Rui de Klerk for their contributions to the workshop. Congrats to our team and you can read our abstract here – 10.10.2018.
• We are opening a new course this semester at METU Department of Archaeometry: “Digital Archaeology of the Neolithic Transition”. You can add this course this week during Add/Drop period. We are looking forward to meeting you on Wednesdays at 14:40 at Department of Archaeometry – 07.10.2018.
• We are URGENTLY in need of game developers who are interested in developing a video game for an international project on cultural heritage. You can send your CV to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) – 03.10.2018.
• Are you developing video or board games? Are you younger than 18 years old? GATEWay’19 Junior is waiting for you. Send us your project concept documents via DM before December 15, 2018! – 02.10.2018.
• MMI 505 Game Development Pipeline course has an official Twitter account: @GameDevPipeline In this account, we will share resources, assignments, source code, scientific papers and tutorials on game development. Follow us, contribute to the content and make the most out of this experience – 27.09.2018.
• I participated to the Expert’s seminar on serious games in Brussels, Belgium. I gave a presentation titled “Innovating game development methodologies” and presented the games that we have been developing at eNOTICE project. I would like to thank the organizers and especially eConfidence project and European Schoolnet for the invitation. You can reach the agenda here – 12.09.2018.
• Wanna catch some bugs, test video games, and win the prize? Drop us an email (email@example.com) to contribute to a research study pursued by Sinan Arıyürek, me and Aysu Betin Can from METU Graduate School of Informatics – 26.07.2018.
• Congratulations to Dilay Seda Özgen (Interior Architecture and Environmental Design, Bilkent University) for successfully defending her Master’s thesis on virtuality reality in design education, which was supervised by Assoc. Prof. Yasemin Afacan and co-supervised by me – 18.07.2018.
• As part of a collaboration between our Multimedia Informatics program and METU Department of Architecture, a workshop titled “Immersive and Responsive Performative Architectural Design in Mixed Reality” was conducted at Design Computing Summer School 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal by Assoc. Prof. Ipek Gursel Dino and our student Şahin Akın from METU Department of Architecture on our joint project with me and our student Oğuzcan Ergün (METU MMI) – Update: 17.07.2018.
• Our new preprint titled “Multi-modal Egocentric Activity Recognition using Audio-Visual Features” (Mehmet Ali Arabacı, Fatih Özkan, Elif Surer, Peter Jančovič, Alptekin Temizel) is available on arXiv – 04.07.2018.
• Here is my interview on Digital Games and Rehabilitation (in Turkish) done by NETLAB Media. I tried to encourage serious game developers to understand how valuable our work is and how lucky we are to touch other people’s lives. I would like to thank NETLab Media for this opportunity and for their valuable contributions – 28.06.2018.
• Postdoc and PhD positions in archaeogenomics, population genetics, bioarchaeology, and archaeological modeling – Applications are invited for multiple Ph.D. and postdoc positions in an ERC-funded interdisciplinary research project on the Neolithic Transition in Southwest Asia. We seek applicants with backgrounds in molecular biology, population genetics, anthropology, archaeology, and computer science. The successful applicants will join the 5-year research project “NEOGENE: Archaeogenomic analysis of genetic and cultural interactions in Neolithic Anatolian societies”, supported by a European Research Council Consolidator Grant. You can also follow us on METU Blog, Twitter and Facebook for more information.
• METU Informatics Institute Friday Seminars were successfully held this semester and on behalf of the organizing committee, I would like to thank our invited speakers and guests for their participation.
Prof. Sadi Turgut (METU Physics) – Quantum Computers
Prof. Rengül Çetin-Atalay (METU BIN) – Personalized Medicine in Cancer through Bioinformatics
Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel (METU MMI) – Deep Learning in Computer Vision
• Congratulations to Fatih Ozkan (Information Systems) for METU II Thesis Awards (Advisor: Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel, Co-advisor: Asst. Prof. Elif Surer) and Bilgin Aksoy (Multimedia Informatics) for winning Course Performance Awards.
• Congratulations to our students and my colleague Aybar C. Acar for getting METU II Open Research Day Awards! – Special Mention Award (Oğuzcan Yıldırım, Elif Sürer), Art-in-Science Award (Elif Bozlak, Aybar C. Acar, Elif Sürer) – 29.05.2018.
• METU II Open Research Day was such a huge success! Our student Elif Bozlak demonstrated her art installation “Music Within” (Elif Bozlak, Aybar C. Acar, Elif Surer) which was previously exhibited during bang. Art Prix 2018 in 42 MASLAK Art! Space Gallery, İstanbul. I would like to thank our team Elif Bozlak and Aybar C. Acar for their tremendous work, ArtBizTech team for their help during bang. Art Prix and Nurcan Tunçbağ for the organization of METU II Open Research Day; it has been an amazing experience – 24.05.2018.
• METU Informatics Institute Thesis Awards results have been announced. Congratulations to our student Fatih Özkan (Information Systems) – MSc Programme – Advisor: Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel and Co-advisor: Asst. Prof. Elif Sürer
Complete list of the winners is here – 23.05.2018.
• METU Design Factory‘s closing ceremony, where our students will present their final projects, will be on June 1 at 14:00. You are all kindly invited, please register from Eventbrite.
• We had precious invited speakers at MMI 590 Graduate Seminar course, I would like to thank each of them for their amazing seminars:
– Asst. Prof. Pelin Angın (METU CENG)
– Asst. Prof. Ramazan Gökberk Cinbiş (METU CENG)
– Dr. Erinç Dikici (SAIL LABS Technology GmBH, Austria)
– Dr. Cristián Huepe (Northwestern Uni. USA/Beijing Normal University China/SCL-SoL Lab Chile)
– Prof. Dr. Oğuz Işık (METU CRP)
– Dr. Alper Koz (METU OGAM)
– Asst. Prof. Ali Emre Turgut (METU MECH)
– Asst. Prof. Ulaş Yaman (METU MECH)
• Only 2 weeks left for GHItaly18 – 2nd Workshop on Games-Human Interaction. Congrats to the organizing committee! For more information: http://ghi.di.unimi.it/
• Congratulations to our METU “Data Analytics without Borders” team coordinated by Assoc. Prof. Tugba Taskaya Temizel (METU IS) for passing the pre-evaluation at D4R | Data for Refugees Turkey Challenge!
Data Analytics without Borders team (in alphabetical order):
Assoc. Prof. Tuğba Taşkaya Temizel (METU IS) (Coordinator), Mehmet Ali Akyol (METU IS), Asst. Prof. Arsev Umur Aydinoglu (METU TEKPOL), Doğa Çağdaş Demirkan (Colorado School of Mines), Prof. Şebnem Düzgün (Colorado School of Mines), Assoc. Prof. Banu Gunel Kilic (METU IS), Prof. Oğuz Işık (METU CRP), Prof. Sibel Kalaycıoğlu (METU SOC), Özgün Ozan Kılıç (METU IS), Elif Surer (METU MMI) – 08.05.2018.
• METU II Master’s student Elif Bozlak (METU HI) will present her project “Music Within” mentored by Asst. Prof. Aybar Can Acar (METU HI) and me at Bang. Prix exhibition during 3-18 May 2018 at 42 MASLAK Art! Space Gallery, İstanbul. You are all kindly invited.
• [EN] We are hiring a lab manager and an IT manager for ERC-funded NEOGENE project executed by Assoc. Prof. Mehmet Somel. For more information about the project, you can read the interview done with Mehmet Somel here.
[TR] 2018-2022 arasında H2020 ERC desteğiyle yürütülecek Neolitik Dönüşüm konulu bir projede (NEOGENE) çalışmak üzere ODTÜ Antik DNA ve Populasyon Genetiği grubunda moleküler lab sorumlusu ve bilgi işlem sorumlusu olarak çalışacak arkadaşlar arıyoruz, çevrenize de duyurursanız çok seviniriz. Proje hakkında daha fazla bilgi için proje yürütücüsü Doç. Dr. Mehmet Somel’in röportajını okuyabilirsiniz. Şimdiden çok teşekkürler.
• I gave a talk titled “Digital Games in Archaeology and the Use Case of Kültepe Interactive Gaming Platform” at the Department of Archaeometry (METU) on 4 May 2018 (Cavit Erginsoy Seminar Room, Department of Physics). You can access the complete list of Department of Archaeometry’s Friday Seminars here – 04.05.2018.
• Marie Claire Turkey interviewed Cevher Eryurek, Ayla Kara Coban and me on gaming in Turkey for their April issue and I had a chance to talk about serious gaming. I would like to thank dear Cevher Eryurek and Marie Claire Turkey for this great opportunity. The interview titled “Game Over | Continue?” is here: Cover Page 1 | Cover Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 – 01.04.2018.
• I gave a seminar on Machine Learning at METU Digital Design Studio. I would like to thank Prof. Arzu Gönenç Sorguç for the invitation. It was a pleasure to meet those enthusiastic students – 28.02.2018.
• I will give the following courses during 2017/2018 Spring Semester:
MMI700 Research Methods (w/ Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel) – Wed 10:40-12:30 II-06
MMI 590 Graduate Seminar – Wed 12:40-13:30 II-06
MMI727 Deep Learning: Methods and Applications (w/ Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel) – Thu 9:40-12:30 II-06
MMI704 Motion Capture, Analysis and Synthesis – Thu 13:40-16:30 II-05
I am also a mentor at Interdisciplinary Design Studio – Spring ’18 – Fri 9:40-12:30 METU Design Factory
• Video of the first prototype on hospital-based serious game developed by METU team for European Network Of CBRN TraIning CEnters (eNOTICE) project is available here. This scenario is built for the joint activity with ARMINES. With AI agents and complex scenarios, it is possible to create new modules for other CBRNe activities and for upcoming eNOTICE joint activities.
• [SURVEY] METU team has been developing a serious game including various scenarios for eNOTICE project. We would like to investigate the user expectations on this domain, users’ gamer profiles, their suggestions and hesitations regarding using serious gaming in CBRNe training. This is a public survey open to practitioners, training centers and academics.
• Congratulations to METU-BIN student Elif Bozlak; her project has been selected to Bang. Art Innovation Prix 2018 and it will be a pleasure for me to be her mentor during this process.
• This semester, our Master’s student Oğuzcan Ergün participated to ODTÜ Tasarım Fabrikası / Design Factory (DTS-5) and developed solutions to improve the lifestyles of Yörüks with the team AURORA. This project has been mentored by UNDP Türkiye, Prof. Aydan Erkmen (METU EEE), me and Dr. Serkan Alkan (METU DF).
• We would like to see you all in our GATEWAY 2018 event where our Multimedia Informatics Masters students will showcase their Game Development Pipeline course’s games and Machine Learning for Multimedia Informatics course’s projects they developed during this semester. There will also be a League of Junior Games section where our young game developers will present their card and board games.
The event will be held at METU Informatics Institute on 17 January 2018 16:30-20:00. You are all kindly invited. Please see the attached poster and do not forget to follow our Facebook page for more information: http://www.facebook.com/GATEWay.METU/
• We had precious guests at MMI 700 Research Methods course, I would like to thank each of the participants for their seminars – 06 Jan 2018.
– Dr. Oya Çeliktutan Dikici (Imperial College London)
– Asst. Prof. Serdar Çiftçi (Harran University)
– Dr. Çiğdem Beyan (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)
– Dr. Sertan Şentürk (Kobalt Music R&D)
– Emine Koçak and Latif Özen (Ankara Restoration and Conservation Regional Laboratory of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism)
– Asst. Prof. Hamdi Dibeklioğlu (Bilkent University)
• During GATEWay’18, presentations and projects from Game Development Pipeline and Machine Learning for Multimedia Informatics courses will be with us on 17th of January. GATEWay’s FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/GATEWay.METU/
• On November 29 at 11:30, Emine Koçak (Ankara Central Laboratories for Restoration and Conservation) is going to give a seminar titled “Re-restoring a bone panel from Kültepe-Kanesh” for MMI Research Methods (MMI 700) course. On the same slot, Latif Özen (Directorate General of Cultural Assets and Museums) is going to give a seminar titled “Research Methods for Cultural Heritage”. You are all kindly invited.
• Our graduate Gökhan Yılmaz presented “Acceleration of Line of Sight Analysis Algorithms with Parallel Programming” at USMOS Conference @METU KKM, 21 November at 3 pm. It is a joint paper with Elif Surer and Alptekin Temizel. You can see the abstract of our presentation here – 21-23 November 2017.
• Our student Hüseyin Erdoğan presented “Game-Based Mobile Platform to Instruct First-Aid Techniques” at USMOS Conference @METU KKM, 22 November at 2 pm. It is a joint paper with Yahya Can Acar, Orhan Çınar, Elif Surer and Pınar Karagöz. You can see the abstract of our presentation here – 21-23 November 2017.
MMI505 Game Development Pipeline (with Assoc. Prof. Alptekin Temizel) – Thu 9:40-12:30 II-06
MMI700 Research Methods (with Assoc. Prof. Hüseyin Hacıhabiboğlu) – Wed 10:40-12:30 II-06
MMI702 Machine Learning for Multimedia Informatics – Thu 13:40-16:30 II-06
I am also a mentor at Interdisciplinary Design Studio – Fall ’17 – Fri 13:40-17:00 METU Design Factory
• We presented our paper titled “Boosted Multiple Kernel Learning for First-Person Activity Recognition” at 25th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2017). You can see the .pdf version of our poster here – 30 August 2017.
• Our papers on Hemispatial Neglect Syndrome got accepted to JMIR Serious Games, congrats to the REWIRE team:
Tobler-Ammann*, B. C., Surer*, E., Knols, R. H., Borghese, N.A., de Bruin, E. D. (2017) “User Perspectives on Exergames Designed to Explore the Hemineglected Space for Stroke Patients With Visuospatial Neglect: Usability Study”, JMIR Serious Games 2017;5(3):e18.
DOI: 10.2196/games.8013 | Download (.pdf)
Tobler-Ammann, B. C., Surer, E., de Bruin, E. D., Rabuffetti, M., Borghese, N. A., Mainetti, R., Pirovano, M., Wittwer, L., Knols, R. H. (2017) “Exergames Encouraging Exploration of Hemineglected Space in Stroke Patients with Visuo-spatial Neglect: a Feasibility Study”, JMIR Serious Games 2017;5(3):e17.
DOI: 10.2196/games.7923 | Download (.pdf)
• Ali Kaan Sungur successfully defended his MSc thesis “Hierarchical Temporal Memory Based Autonomous Agent for Partially Observable Video Game Environments”. Congrats to our student! – 15 August 2017.
• We presented our abstract titled “A Multifaceted Gaming Platform for Interactive Learning of Archaeology and Culture of Kültepe” at Kültepe International Meeting III (KIM 3). You can see the abstract of our presentation here – 4-7 August 2017.
• Umut Demirel successfully defended his MSc thesis “Creating a Generic Hand and Finger Gesture Recognizer Using Forearm Muscle Activity Signals”. Congrats to our student and his thesis supervisor Assoc. Prof. Hüseyin Hacıhabiboğlu. It has been a pleasure being Umut’s co-advisor and working with this great team – 1 August 2017.
• Congratulations to our dear student, Umut Demirel and his thesis supervisor, my dear colleague, Assoc. Prof. Hüseyin Hacıhabiboğlu for the Best Poster Award at METU II Open Research Day! It is great to be Umut’s co-advisor and a part of this team – 30 May 2017.
• We had precious guests at GATE 590 seminars, I would like to thank each of the participants for their seminars – 26 May 2017.
– Assoc. Prof. Flavio D’Alessandro (La Sapienza University of Rome / Bogazici University)
– Assoc. Prof. Sinan Kalkan (METU CENG)
– Prof. Gözde Bozdağı Akar (METU EEE)
– Dr. Arsev Umut Aydınoğlu (METU Design Factory)
– Asst. Prof. Ahmad Hasasneh (Palestine Ahliya University)
– Dr. Firas Omar (Zarka University)
• ECISLab‘s 6 students participated to the METU II Open Research Day, I would like to thank them for their successful presentations. You can reach the titles of their theses and projects here. I would like to thank the organization committee and Asst. Prof. Nurcan Tunçbağ for their tremendous effort during this event – 24 May 2017.
• I participated to the e-Game Show 2017 panel titled “The Future of Video Game Industry: A Window of Opportunity” with Prof. Haşmet Gürçay (Hacettepe), Dr. Gaetano Dumita (QMUL), David Greenspan (BANDAI NAMCO) and Dimiter Gantchev (WIPO) at Hacettepe University Beytepe Congress Center, Ankara – 13 May 2017.
• ECISLab and Publications pages have been updated, you can now download the full-texts of the articles & proceedings in .pdf format – 27 March 2017.
• GATE 590 – Graduate Seminar course had its first guest today! We would like to thank Dr. Firas Omar for his seminar on “Usability in Game Development” and Assoc. Prof. Banu Günel for the organization of this event – 17 March 2017.
• ArtBizTech organizes bang.prix competition to merge art and technology. Submission categories are hybrid art (kinetic, robotic, mechatronic), new media, data art and bio art. Deadline for the applications is 3 April 2017. For submission details, please check the website [TR].
• Our submission to EUSIPCO 2017 (F. Özkan, M. A. Arabacı, E. Surer, A. Temizel, “Boosted Multiple Kernel Learning for First-Person Activity Recognition”) is available on arXiv:1702.06799.
GATE 704 Motion Capture, Analysis and Synthesis – Thursday 9:40-12:30 II-05
GATE 541 Physics for Computer Games – Friday 9:40-12:30 II-05
GATE 590 Graduate Seminar – Friday 12:40-13:30 II-05
• I will give a new course “Motion Capture, Analysis and Synthesis” (GATE704) during the 2016/2017 Spring semester. Courses page will be updated soon!
• I participated to the “Starting Your Game Career: Education” panel at Gaming Istanbul 2017 (GIST) event at Istanbul Congress Center – 3 February 2017.
• Thank you very much for your participation to GATEWay’17-MMI Edition! 12 Game Development Pipeline projects, 4 Machine Learning for Multimedia Informatics projects and 1 Junior project were presented. You can check our FB album for the details of the event. See you next year!
• I gave a presentation titled “A Video Game-Based Physical and Cognitive Training Platform for Children with Down Syndrome” at Games for Health Europe Conference in Netherlands – 31 October and 1 November 2016.